4-H GPS / GIS PROJECT
Middle / Intermediate
• Outdoor Navigation with Map and Compass (pdf)
• Introduction to Latitude and Longitude
• Trimble Slideshow: How GPS Works
• “Find Your Longitude” Nova Game
• How GPS works online activity
• How to Use a GPS (Helpful Hints)
High / Senior
• How Do Map Projections Distort Earths Surface?
Important information since GIS tools can select from several projection types.
• ESRI Video On GPS to GIS (Large file 7MB)
Right click link, save to your computer, then play with Media Player
• Moving Points from GPS to GIS
• ESRI Creating a Map from X, Y Coordinate Data
• How do Latitude and Longitude Coordinates Help Us See Changes in the Earth?
• Using Garmin with Paper Maps
• From Star Gazers to Starships – Chapter 5 – Latitude and Longitude
The Whatcom County Extension Office has 4 GPS Garmin Rino Units available for two-three day loan to local 4-H clubs or school groups. For more info please contact Michael Wallace.
• Map Datums and Coordinate Systems (Word Document)
• Preparing GPS Receivers for Group Activities (Word Document)
• MJC GPS Field Exercises (Word Document)
• GPS Glossary (Word Document)
Special Thanks to Mike Clifford, 4-H Leader in Virginia for the above documents.
Science Surfing (Cool Sites and Directories)
• Mr Davies Science and Education Links
• Science News for Kids
• Exploring Earth – an online interactive learning lab
• Xpeditions: National Geographic Geography